A Step-by-Step Guide
If you have lost a loved one, we offer you our sincere condolences. Unfortunately, at this emotionally exhausting and vulnerable time, you are also faced with making a number of important and time sensitive decisions. We are dedicated to identifying and meeting your needs, not according to perceived obligations or outside pressures, but in keeping with your sincere desires and available resources. With time, we want you to look back on this experience with real peace and satisfaction. To this end, we’ve outlined the following steps for making final arrangements. Our goal is to ease this process by providing exceptional value and by empowering you to make the best decisions according to your wishes and resources, and those of your departed loved one.
1. Next of kin chooses a funeral establishment
Call (218) 491-7011 to enlist Affordable Cremation & Burial. A funeral director is available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
2. The person is transported to the mortuary
If the deceased was under medical supervision, the hospital, or hospice will release the body to us when you are ready. We will transport the body to the funeral home. If the death was unexpected, call 911. The Medical Examiner or Coroner will investigate the death, and when the investigation is complete, the body will be released to us.
3. Arrangements are made for final disposition
Affordable Cremation & Burial will contact you to coordinate the final arrangements. Consider the following:
- Will the body be cremated or buried?
- What type of ritual will be performed, funeral (body present), memorial service (no body), or private family service?
- What will the final resting place of the deceased be?
In preparation, gather the following items and information:
- Death certificate information (Download Printable Form)
- Discharge papers (DD214) if the deceased was a veteran.
- A nice photo of the deceased (for the obituary, printed materials, and preparation of the body).
- A list of family members for the obituary.
- A preliminary idea of where the service will take place (church, chapel, cemetery, other location).
- Contact information for clergy or others who will participate in the service.
- Poems, hymns, bible verses, or other writings with special meaning to you or the deceased.
During the meeting, we will assist you in doing the following:
- Submitting a Death Certificate to the state (legally report the death).
- Arranging for the disposition of the body (burial, cremation, or entombment) .
- Planning and coordinating a funeral or memorial service, if desired.
- Selecting merchandise to be used for the funeral service.
- Writing an online obituary that will be hosted on our website.
- Signing a contract and paying for services.
4. Trust us to arrange the perfect goodbye
Rest secure in the knowledge that your loved one’s final arrangements will be handled expertly, with great dignity, and according to your wishes and budget.